Choose Your Course
- Beginners Courses
- Accredited Courses
- Courses for Deaf People
- Deaf Awareness Training
- Auslan Only Weekends (AOW)
If you like, you can start learning Auslan on our accredited Certificate II in Auslan course, but as the other students in your class probably would have started learning Auslan through our Basic Auslan programs, you might find yourself struggling here.
This is why we recommend that you start learning Auslan via our Basic Auslan programs before moving onto our accredited Auslan Certificate courses.
This course is taught by both Deaf and hearing teachers. There is no prerequisite. At the end you will receive a Statement of Attendance if you attend to more than 12 hours of the course.
If you know you will have difficulties attending our Auslan courses, perhaps because you live too far to travel, or the times offered are not convenient, you may like to learn Auslan on-line with us.
Our nationally accredited Auslan courses are perfect for people who want to take their Auslan skills to the next level and to obtain formal qualifications.
Our accredited courses are over a minimum of six months and they are delivered from our fully resourced training centre in Parramatta.
These courses are suitable for those who want:
- Nationally recognised ASQA accredited training qualification
- To develop their Auslan skills to the appropriate standard before working towards Auslan/English Interpreting qualifications
- To validate their Auslan skills
- To further develop their Auslan skills and knowledge of the Australian Deaf Community
- To obtain formal qualifications in Auslan
The Deaf Society offers a range of accredited and short courses for Deaf and hard of hearing people. Some topics include the following:
- Preparing for work
- Auslan for deaf adults
- Maths and Money
- Computer Skills
- First Aid
- iPad course for Seniors
- Tech Savvy Seniors
and many more…
To help deaf people overcome these issues, the Deaf Society has developed a range of informative and practical Deaf Awareness Training (DAT) programs which are designed to improve your understanding of and awareness of sign language, deaf culture, deaf people and access and communication issues deaf people face at work, at home or in social situations.
Our DAT sessions help you develop strategies for improving the interaction between deaf, hard of hearing and hearing people. After attending our DAT courses, you will:
- Understand the differences between deaf, and hard of hearing people
- Learn what is Auslan and sign language
- Learn some communication tactics to use when talking with deaf people
- Be provided with some strategies to ensure that deaf people in your workplace have full and equitable access to all internal and external communications
- Find out how you can develop communication-related skills
- And most importantly of all, you will find you are able to communicate even better with others, because good communication rules are universal, and do not just apply to deaf people!
AUSLAN ONLY WEEKEND (AOW) 2017 Semester 1
2 nights share accommodation at the venue (see venue details below)
2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner
Morning and afternoon tea throughout your stay
Unlimited tea, coffee and hot chocolate
All workshops and activities
Who can attend?
Auslan students – Certificate II, Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma of Auslan (past or present).
These workshops are also open to external students who have completed the above mentioned courses.
The AOW Team
Our Auslan Only Team is made up of trainers and volunteers from the Deaf Community. Our team members look forward to helping you expand your vocabulary, recognise different signing styles and most of all become more confident in your signing ability.
Venues & Dates:
|Area||Address||Dates & Time|
|Central Coast, NSW||Lutanda Camp, Toukley||May 5th 7pm start – May 7th 4pm finish|
|South Coast, NSW||Stanwell Tops Conference Centre, Stanwell Tops||June 2nd 7pm start – June 4th 4pm finish|
|Northern Rivers, NSW||Lake Ainsworth, Lennox Heads||June 16th 7pm start – June 18th 4pm finish|
Early-Bird Price: before April 1st – $350
Full Price: on/after April 1st – $425